> You just need an ethernet card (that connects by twisted pair, i.e.
> RJ-45 connectors and Cat-[35] cable). I'm not sure if the cable modem
> will go 100Mbps, but it wouldn't hurt to have 100Mb card in there.
> Basically any NIC will work.

Most cable modems (notably, the ones AT&T passes out) only link at 10mbit,
this is not a problem as AT&T has a downstream rate limit of 1.5Mbit and
an upstream rate limit of .3Mbit

CAT5 is recommended, AT&T will give you a piece with the modem =)

[shameless plug]

Not sure if I mentioned it yet, but a friend and I run a website dedicated
to broadband internet access in minnesota, we're collecting information at
this point as well as working on an in-house outage monitoring tool.

Anyone interested can get more information at http://www.mnbroadband.org

Discussion ranges from cable modem internals to venting about poor technical
support from The Canadians(R).
[/shameless plug]