Clay I'll play devils advocate here for the moment.  As powerful as the
command-line is, very few people unfamiliar with it would use it to actually
burn a video encoded dvd.  Especially a video editor.  Most are not geeks,
their artists in need of an easy to use software tool.  I could be wrong, but
I bet the things your doing on the command-line can and are reproduced in a
gui.  They may not exist in Linux now, but they are available in Mac or
Windows.  I work as a Broadcast Engineer at the O&O Fox-29 in Minneapolis.
Video editing software on Mac/Windows is literally years ahead in development
compared to Linux.  I'm not trying to bash Linux here, but I would simply ask
why?  Video editing on the desktop could have been a "killer app" for Linux,
but it completely missed the boat.  I hope it will catch up to competitors
soon.  You are certainly right about newbies not knowing the potencial of
Linux.  But they expect (demand) a gui interface not the command-line.

Having said all that, I would love to see a demo sometime.

On Tuesday 15 January 2002 4:48 am, you wrote:
<snip>

> Yea, you're probably right. This is the kind of stuff that really shows the
> power of Linux/UNIX and the command-line. Some of the stuff I'm doing would
> be difficult/impossible to do in a GUI. And since a lot of it is
> bleading-edge and just-recently developed, most of it isn't documented yet.
> Makes it really hard for newcomers to realize the capabilities and the
> potential of Linux.
>
> I will try and schedule this topic for a future meeting.
>
> -- Clay
<snip>