On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 05:27:42AM -0800, Jimmy Jam wrote:
> I was told on this list that telnet is quite unsafe and provides serious security loopholes (at least on Linux boxes).  What if telnet is used behind a firewall? That should be safe right?  What if the telnet port (23) is exposed to the outside wall via a firewall?  Is that still unsafe?

Telnet is unsafe for any use in which data will be passed across the
same physical network as any machine which is not completely trusted.
Any machine on any network the data is passed across is capable of
trivially detecting any data sent across the telnet connection -
including your password.

Use ssh instead if at all possible.

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss