On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 05:27:42AM -0800, Jimmy Jam wrote:

> I was told on this list that telnet is quite unsafe and provides
> serious security loopholes (at least on Linux boxes).  What if
> telnet is used behind a firewall? That should be safe right?  What
> if the telnet port (23) is exposed to the outside wall via a
> firewall?  Is that still unsafe?

Yes.  The *way* that telnet is unsafe is that everything you type is
just sent over the net the way you type it.  So if someone watches
your connection (because the net is just a big party line) they could
get your passwords.

telnet internally is OK, *BUT* still no more convenient than ssh.
Basically, telnet is like signing a check in pencil -- just use a pen.

--
"Trying to do something with your life is like
sitting down to eat a moose." --Douglas Wood