On Monday 14 January 2002 11:56, Michael Glaser wrote:
> Has anyone done it? If so, where can I find the software to install it? I
> have heard of Yellow Dog Linux, but it looks like it does not run on this
> model.
> Also, the laptop has a MPC-100 PCMCIA 10/100 Ethernet card that is made by
> 'Macsense'. Is there any chance that this would be supported?

Michael, you're welcome to borrow my Yellow Dog 2.0 CDs and give it a try.  I
had little (only two weeks...) trouble getting Yellow Dog working smoothly on
a PowerBook G3 Wallstreet, but in order to do it I had to enter some
information by hand that I would never have thought of: trackpad support,
middle & right mouse buttons, and so on.  I was able to find this info on the
Web for the G3, but it may not be the same for the 1400c.

I found Yellow Dog to have surprisingly good hardware support, so your PC
card may well be supported.

If you have access to a high-speed Internet connection and a CD burner, you
might try downloading a variety of distributions -- Yellow Dog 2.1, Mandrake
PPC, Debian PPC -- and try each of them to see which has the best hardware
support.

I will say that after using Linux on my PowerBook for about 6 months, I
bought an Athlon PC, put Linux on that, and now I'm selling my PowerBook.
Linux runs competently on the Mac -- in some ways better than Mac OS -- but
it runs better on a PC.  That's my opinion.  --Ben