On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Mike Hicks wrote:

> Yeah, look and see if the /proc/ide directory exists, and if there's
> anything in there.

I'll check tonight along with posting my dmesg.

> I'm curious, though, how the system could be booting up without mounting
> the disk..  Is there also have a SCSI drive in the system?

There's no SCSI hard disks, just a SCSI CD-RW on an AHA-2940.  I presume
the partitions hda3, hda5 and hda6 are mounting fine since the mount from
fstab as the system boots.

I have, however, been seeing some odd problems with my MBR.  If I reload
LILO, linux boots fine but trying to boot off of /dev/hda1 just gives me
an infinite loop of "unexpected EOF".  If I do an fdisk /mbr and try to
install Win98 on hda1, the reboot hangs.  Win2K installs fine, but if I
reload LILO I have the same EOF message.  My current workaround is to set
boot=/dev/hda3 instead of /dev/hda in lilo.conf, then do a dd if=/dev/hda3
of=boot.img bs=512 count=1 and boot the boot.img from Win2K's
boot.ini.  My computer boots fine, I can boot either Win2K or LILO from
the Win2K menu.  The only down side is that I can't mount /dev/hda1 under
linux.  Yes, it's formatted FAT32 :-)

Now that I can painlessly boot into linux and use my FTP method for
copying to and from partitions, this is not such a big issue.  It's still
bothersome though and I's like to find out what's going on.

-Brian