On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, whisper wrote:

> I currently work at a large corporation where we have ~50,000 desktops.  I'm
> wondering what other people on this list who work at companies like this do
> for administration of these workstations, such as software rollout,
> re-imaging, etc.  To be honest, we are mainly a Netware shop, with some NT,
> and only small amount of rogue machines running Linux.  Most of the software
> is rolled out through login scripts, and not through SMS or ZENWorks,

Do absolutely everything you can to get ZEN running TODAY.  ZENworks is
the absoolute greatest desktop environment manager on the planet.  (I'm
assuming you know this already, but it bears repeating).

> Getting it into server positions is probably not going to happen,
> unless it will play _extremely_ well with AD and NDS.  Any other
> suggestions for how to get it brought in?

I haven't used it yet, but Novell's E-directory for linux is supposed to
bind NDS and LDAP together seamlessly.  As for AD.. HAH!!  Burn it!! make
it STOP!  Are you aware that Novell can manage NT/2K servers better than
Microsoft can?  Are you aware that you can create dynamic AD profiles in
NDS and eliminate the need for any user admin on the NT/2K boxen?

As for deploying linux into all of this I'm not really sure.  Novell
doesn't have any ZEN-like products for linux but with the help of
E-directory admining accounts on linux boxen should be pretty smooth.

-Brian