> I'm doing some shuffling of some systems, and I've got a question.
> I know *HOW* to partition drives, but frankly I'm finding partitions
> to be more of an asset than a liability.

or vice versa?

> or not.  But if a partitioned drive fails totally, all the partitions
> fail.

But if the drive is fine, and your OS gets somehow borked, then it might
be nice to have certain things on their own partition. I advocate having
/home on a separate partition. Something like /usr/local/ might be nice to
save, since you then don't have to reinstall various software.There have
been occasions where in backing up things it was nice to able to be able
to contain it within certain parts of the filesystem.

> I just wanted to hear a little discussion on this, 'cause I think I'm
> close to developing an opinion that partitioning is silly.

Aside from the above, I find it to be a nuisance in most circumstances.
At the moment I'm a bit frustrated by the inefficient use of space on a
laptop drive. Maybe LVM is the answer to that, but I've not investigated
it yet.

Andy