One other reason to at least put /home on another partition.

Say its middle of December.  Say you just wanted to do your wife a favor and
install the StarOffice 6.0 Beta.  So you think to yourself you will just
remove the 5.2 and put 6.0 on.  Big mistake... Darn GUI un-installer removed
the X-Mass letter to everyone.  Big oops.

Well if you have /home on a separate partion you could get the file
un-deleted if you can go to single user as root and use some of the utils to
un-delete the file (found that Midnight Commander was excellent for pulling
many files back from the dead, but the key bindings were a bit of a hurdle to
overcome.)

So that could be a reason. Not that anybody would delete an important file
and want it back later :-)

Kelly Black
KB0GBJ