On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, Samir M. Nassar wrote:

> Mr. Johnsons email came from work. Instead of ragging on him for using the
> tools available, why not organize a presentation to the Department of Health
> to give them a good word about Linux.

Quite right.  Furthermore, he may not be in a position to advocate
Linux there.  I work for another local government and I know somebody
there who got reprimanded for advocating Linux and was forbidden from
giving a presentation about Linux at the Departmental education forum.
The LAN admin management will not discuss any alternative to Microsoft.
A few of us meet quietly sometimes and try to think of ways around this
formidable obstacle :-(>

> People have mentioned that Linux might be a contestant for the desktop
> market, why not start marketing it on the local level to the local agencies.

Not sure the desktop  is the best place to start, but the state budget
problems should help people consider alternatives to Redmond.

Glenn McDavid
mailto:gmcdavid at winternet.com
http://www.winternet.com/~gmcdavid