Found an article on the web a few months ago.  Even printed it out.
Can't find it
now of course.

So from memory...

Basically, there's a structured wiring standard, often referred to as
TIA 568-A.
The confusing thing is that the TIA 568-A standard allows two wiring
patterns, T568A
and T568B.  But this is not revision A and revision B.   When the
standard was
originally created, they defined what is now called T568B.  However,
AT&T had a
different wiring pattern.  So they added the AT&T pattern as T568A.

I went with T568B but recommended T568A because lately I've encountered
some
products where the manufacturer only color coded for  T568A.  Its a pain
when your
jacks are only coded for T658A and you have to chase down which color
wires have to
be switched and then remember it for each jack.

The important thing is to pick either T568B or T568A and stick with it.
I made sure
to write down.  I have a good memory but its kind of short  :-)