"Samir M. Nassar" <nassarsa at redconcepts.net> wrote:

> Ok, so I have another basic question.
>
> What is needed to make this packaging? I'd be more than happy to learn on my
> own.
>
> all it needs is 4 or 5 buttons. 'open file' + './config' + 'make install' +
> 'make clean'

Well, since that process doesn't work for everything, it might be better
to look at building an interface around the automated RPM build system.
Lots of programs come with decent .spec files (a special configuration
file that tells RPM how to build and package a program, what files go into
the package, and what scripts to run when installing/removing).

With Debian, I understand you can do something like `apt-get source -b
<package>', which should download a package and build it.  (I forget what
the exact command is, as I usually just apt-get binary packages..)

No matter what, build processes are still going to be hairy things..  The
best you can hope for is a system that knows how to set up the right build
environment, tweak the right environment variables, etc., and folks will
still have to cross their fingers..

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   To make an enemy, do