On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 02:10PM -0800, Mike Bresnahan wrote:
> In fact, I have
> yet to find any automated way to convert a Word 2000 document to HTML that
> looks the same in Internet Explorer and Netscape 4.7x.

HTML Tidy[1] says that it has features to scrub the naughty bits of HTML
out of Word-generated email. I've never used it for that, but for
general purpose cleanup of HTML, it's very nice -- fixes open tags,
catches errors, etc.

The original HTML Tidy page is at [2]; it's quite useful.

> Also interesting, Macromedia Dreamweaver comes with a tool to clean-up HTML
> produced by Word.  Apparently Word produces HTML loaded with redundant
> constructs and Microsoft specific features.

HTML Tidy (almost) comes from the W3C, so it strives for super-standards
compliant HTML, which should be readable in any browser.

Dan

[1]. http://tidy.sf.net
[2]. http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/