At least with Word 2000, if you save as HTML you will get HTML that is only
parseable by Microsoft products, e.g. Internet Explorer.  If you try to view
the HTML with for example Netscape, you will see a mess.  In fact, I have
yet to find any automated way to convert a Word 2000 document to HTML that
looks the same in Internet Explorer and Netscape 4.7x.  I even tried evals
of commercial software and had no luck.  CAVEAT: Netscape 6.2 can view Word
2000 HTML just fine (perhaps because they were forced to support a bunch of
Microsoft HTML extensions?).

Also interesting, Macromedia Dreamweaver comes with a tool to clean-up HTML
produced by Word.  Apparently Word produces HTML loaded with redundant
constructs and Microsoft specific features.

Mike