On Thu, 10 Jan 2002 Yaron wrote:
> Well I'm finally going to have a house, and I'm thinking that wiring the
> place up would be a better idea than running cable over the place, and
> bulk cable/crimpers/jacks are cheaper than TWO wireless NICs and can
> serve a whole buttload of machines.

> So, anyone have any advice, such as good places to get bulk cable, whether
> I should spend more on cat6 rather than 5e or 5, whether I should get
> patch panels or just some switches, if I should consider running anything
> except ethernet, etc?

I just recently finished installing a bunch of data outlets and network
wiring in my house.  My setup was fairly expensive, with a wall mounted
rack and patch panel in the basement.  The job also turned out to be more
labor intensive than I had expected, taking about 1-2 solid days worth of
work per data outlet.  However, now that it's done, pretty much anywhere I
sit down inside the house (except for the bathrooms) is within 10 feet of
a data outlet.

Although I used cat5e wires, the system is only cat5 rated because I had
bought a cat5 patch panel and jacks last year and didn't bother replacing
them (can always do that later if needed ...).  Not a big deal right now
because the network is only running at 10 Mbps anyway, using cheap
rack-mounted hubs from the MPC surplus store:
http://www.materialsprocessing.com/.

The niftiest trick I figured out while doing this was to use PVC pipe as a
cable raceway.  PVC is easy to cut, so I cut the pipe in half lengthwise
and used the half-pipes, mounted to the basement ceiling joists with PVC
J-hooks, instead of expensive "cat5e compliant" wire raceway.

Home Depot carries most of the stuff needed to do this type of project.
The Home Depot in Bloomington, near 494 and Lyndale, is open 24 hours.
Otherwise, check out MilesTek:  http://www.milestek.com/.

In addition to cat5 network wire, I'd recommend also installing satellite
grade (RG6) coaxial cable.  People who don't understand the value of
network wiring might still be able to appreciate easy access to the TV
antenna or whatever -- most of my data outlets supply four cat5 and two
RG6 connections.

On Thu, 10 Jan 2002 Scott Dier wrote:
> Otherwise, I'll just tear the walls apart when we move :)

In some rooms it is possible to avoid totally tearing walls apart by
running the cable in the wall behind the baseboard, near the floor.  I did
this in several rooms by pulling off the baseboard and then removing the
bottom couple inches of drywall (about 1" less than the height of the
baseboard).  However, in order to drill holes near the bottoms of the
studs, I found it necessary to use a drill capable of cutting through
nails (circle saw).  Also got a shaft extension for the drill, to improve
the angle at which the holes were drilled.

I hope this helps ...

Joel