On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 09:26:05PM -0600, Yaron wrote:
>   Hey all,
>
> Well I'm finally going to have a house, and I'm thinking that wiring the
> place up would be a better idea than running cable over the place, and
> bulk cable/crimpers/jacks are cheaper than TWO wireless NICs and can
> serve a whole buttload of machines.
>
> So, anyone have any advice, such as good places to get bulk cable, whether
> I should spend more on cat6 rather than 5e or 5, whether I should get
> patch panels or just some switches, if I should consider running anything
> except ethernet, etc?

I always go to an electrical distributor (ie graybar, viking, border states, ... ).  1000' of cat5 is usually ~$60 and the patch cords are much less than the best buys and comp usas.

In my next house I'm gonna run a gutter behind the base trim in every room so cable upgrades and additions will be easier.

--
------ Marc A. Ohmann  marc at ds6.net ------ Digital Solutions, Inc. ------