ON Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 02:34:54PM -0600, Dave Sherohman wrote:

> You're assuming that only reads are cached.  For most OS file system
> caches, this assumption is incorrect.  Write file once (to cache
> pending disk write), read file once (from cache, may or may not have
> made it onto disk), delete file (from cache, possible pending delete
> from disk if it ever got written for real).  Like Nate said, as fast
> as a ramdisk and not as dangerous, even though the file isn't being
> hit repeatedly.

That's certainly possible, although it doesn't explain Jay's reported
performance increase. Maybe his buffer cache (<--term?) was just set too
low. I've read conflicting accounts on the subject.

For the record, though, I recommend using RAM disks only for entertainment
purposes, and only where permitted by state and local authorities.

--
Michael