On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 09:13AM -0600, Rick Engebretson wrote:
> With all the GHz CPUs filling the market, I think a note of caution is due.
> Does anybody really need such a CPU?? Check your CPU load meter and you
> will likely find a large excess capacity.

I have a PIII-500 at home and it's perfectly fine. The biggest bottlneck
is the memory -- only 128MB -- and the disk -- regular IDE, does 33MHz
DMA I think. The network is also a bottleneck, but I suppose I have
little to complain about with a cable modem that usually pulls about 2
megabits/second.

My firewall/NAT box, which also runs Apache, Postfix, OpenSSH, an IMAP
server, an NFS client to my PIII -- despite all these things, usually
has a load average of 0.00.  Maybe 0.10 if there's a couple people
logged in to it. In fact, I'm ssh-ed in right now, let's check it with
our friend ":r!w" ...

 12:20:46 up 4 days,  1:10,  1 user,  load average: 0.01, 0.01, 0.00

Not too busy. And that's a 375MHz processor.

In a machine architecture class I took in college, I got the impression
that most modern chips (this was only a few years ago) spent most of
their time waiting for data from memory. I know that intelligent caching
and whatnot can reduce this, but it seems like the hardware folks should
be concentrating on speeding up memory and buses until they can feed
data to a cpu as fast as it can take it.

(of course, I'm not terribly current on these technology issues, so I
may very well be talking out of my ass here)

That said, I *do* want chip that runs 1GHz or faster, simply because
"1000MHz" (or 1024MHz, for those of you with emotional attachments to
powers of 2) is so much cooler than even "999MHz" because of the four
digits and all. :)

Dan