I just did a test with a base install of Postfix from a mandrake RPM (I know
this is not the most efficient setup).  When the spools were on fixed disk, I
was able to send about 11 messages per second.  When I switched to a ramdisk
for the spools, performace jumped to about 67 messages per second.   So there
was an obvoius performance increase here, though I am just using a standard
home PC class IDE hard drive (Maxtor 52049H4).  What do you think the
difference would be with better drives?

Jay