Last night I tried to use Mandrake 8.1's software update feature to download
and install a security update to the kernel.  I found the program to be very
unsatisfactory: it didn't tell me the names of the files it was downloading
or give any indication of how long the download would take.  Then the files
didn't wind up downloading all the way but the program tried to install them
anyway, so I wound up with half old kernel modules and half new kernel
modules and the machine wouldn't boot.  When I got it up and running with the
emergency floppy disk, there was no PPP support so I couldn't try the
download again!  And of course the installer's update mode doesn't fix the
kernel, so I had to reinstall.  :-<

What alternatives are there to this Software Update program for Mandrake
users?  I know I can find rpms on rpmfind.net, but only if I know what
they're called, and I like the idea of the software letting me know when
updates are available... but if I can't trust it, I won't use it.
Suggestions?  --Ben