On Tuesday 08 January 2002 03:08 pm, you wrote:
> I find it intersting that everyone seems to go out of their way to note
> "how complicated" Linux is.

Come on now...not everyone.  I think it's pretty easy if you have the right
distro.

> If we really want people to use Linux  maybe we ought to quite trying to
> scare them off.

I have yet to scare anyone off...unless you consider my looks :)

> She designs web sites and uses photoshop so she had to have windows
> which cost me more than the PC.  I decided
> on win98 cause I'm just not ready for XP.

<snip...your list of Windows install problems go here....)

Windows 98 cannot really be compared to Redhat 7.2.  Or at least it
shouldn't.  It's several years old while Redhat 7.2 is only months old.  A
better comparison would be Win2k and the new Linux distros.

Gimp will do pretty much anything that Photoshop will do...for nothing!  Many
free plugins also...she should give it a try.

> For myself I had Redhat 7.2 laying around so why not.

Now...Redhat 7.2...that will scare off newbies.  The menu layout is horrible!
 Don't get me wrong, it's a powerful distro with many good points.   I
actually like Redhat on the corporate desktop but not at home.  Redmond, Elx,
and soon Xandros all look very nice for newbies.

> Oh and I almost forgot.  Linux never asked me to type in that 5000 digit
> license code.  What a relief?

Amen brother!  Enjoy you new OS and be kind to your daughter when the BSOD
pops up and she isn't using a journaling file system.  And lookout for the
next new virus around the corner.

< many snips missing>