On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 08:08:47AM -0600, Michael Vieths wrote:
> What's up with the posts from 10/31/01 that keep popping up?  List a little
> slow? ;)

Yes.  Bob, the host of this email list, is trying to "reinject" the Linux
Kernel Mailing List (LKML)[1] emails into Mailman[2], the email list server
software that we are using.  Mailman, unfortunately, has a klunky archive
system called pipermail, the input of which seems only to be through the
smtp->mailman alias(5).  Because of this limitation, Bob is resending all of
the LKML archives to the sendmail server through some perl-script-fu that some
of the list members cooked up.

That is what is slowing the server down.  Sendmail isn't very selective as to
where it stuffs received emails.  The queue an email gets sent to may not be
touched for some time, as you can tell.

Any estimate, Bob, on when the LKML reinjection may be finished?  I haven't
been paying close attention as usual.

As a side note, I'd bed that the pipermail stuff can be offloaded to another
machine if the interface and programs can be accessed w/o going through the
email gateway interface (smtp server).  I'll try to dig into the Python source
and see what I can see.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie
Get my public key, ICQ#, etc.  Send email w/the Subject: "get help"