On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 10:19:16AM -0600, Scott Dier wrote:
> * Petre Scheie <petre.scheie at nextelpartners.com> [020107 09:05]:
> > What's RDP?  Remote Display Protocol?  Is this some company's product?
>
> RDP == remote display protocol
> some tech that msft licenced from citrix.

Incorrect, IIRC.  Citrix sold Microsoft the alterations to NT 3.5 they had made
to create Citrix WinFrame.  M$ decided they liked what Citrix did and forced
them to sell some of the technology to incorporate it into M$ Terminal Server.
Citrix basically agreed but under the condition that the actual network
protocol used to talk to the server were to be kept proprietary.  I.e. the ICA
protocol, which I believe stands for Independent Client Architecture, or some
such buzzword.

ICA is certainly better in more ways than one, but the most convincing argument
is that it is truely independent of the client OS.  You can run a 16 bit Citrix
client on Dr. DOS, MSDOS, UNIX (insert flavor/architecture), Linux, Windows,
QNX (I believe), and yes, even Macintosh.  Would you like to push out Windows
apps to every workstation in your office?  Hate relying on Wincrap for
workstation OS's.  Would you like to go to a discless client (ala
windows-borgified X-terms)?  Go with Citrix.

Want to be stuck to Windows and Micro$oft forever, stick with WinXP.

> all w2k servers allow 2 concurrent remote administrator-class connections.

Wow, they're being more gracious than I'd ever expect from the conglomo-giant.

I'm not acidic toward Micro$oft.  Really, I'm not!  ****bbuuuuuuzzzzzzzzz***
Holy CRAP!  I've been buzzed by a flying pig as big as a house!!!

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie
Get my public key, ICQ#, etc.  Send email w/the Subject: "get help"