> Looks like consolehelper is there to let regular users run all kinds of
> stuff as root, stuff like rpminst and userdrake will prompt you for a
> root password, other stuff like halt will not.  Just a way to keep you
> from having to log in as root I guess.  If it really bugs you I suppose
> you could set the perms on consolehelper to 700 (root owns it) but I
> have no idea what other stuff it may break.

I'm another amatuer in this area, but on my RedHat 7.1 system, I found it
somewhat informative to look at "man consolehelper".  It is indeed a wrapper
for lots of stuff.  But rather than changing the priviledges of the
consolehelper wrapper, it appears that the most proper way to do it is by
setting up the PAM configuration in /etc/pam.d/ (or /etc/pam.conf on older
distros).  Figuring that out is beyond the scope of what I have the time (or
need) for right now - a quick peek at "man pam" was enough to convince me of
that.  Still, it may not be that bad to figure out.  Maybe someone on the
list has already done so and wants to share their experience...

Dan