On Sat, Jan 05, 2002 at 08:31:16AM -0800, Jimmy Jam wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> My RdHat 7.2 allows me to halt the system (using the halt command) as an ordinary (non root) user.  Does anyone know why.  I would think this is vry dangerous.

what distro are you using?

does it do this if you're ssh'ed in from another box, or only from the
console?
or are you talking about using the 'halt' menu option in GDM or Gnome?

if you're at the console, it's assumed you have physical access to the
machine, in which case you can do anything you please to it anyway; so a lot
of distros make it easy for users who are at the console to mount floppies
or halt the system; which by default requires root access.

Carl Soderstrom
--
Network Engineer
Real-Time Enterprises