On Wed, 2 Jan 2002 18:14:35 -0600
"Mike Hicks" <hick0088 at tc.umn.edu> wrote:

> I don't know about the other cards, but the S3 ViRGE card I had only
> supported VESA 1.2, while VESA 2.0 support is required if you want to
use> the kernel framebuffer.  (or maybe it was 1.0/1.2..  I forget)

It must support VESA 2.0..

> If you really want things to work, you can boot DOS first, load a VESA
> driver for the card, and then use loadlin to boot Linux, and have it
work.

Obviously, the DOS driver will cease to exist after DOS dies, so is the
point of the driver simply to switch modes? This is an approach that I
have not yet tried.

          -.bill.layer.- .-frogtown.mn.usa.-

.-Microsoft.Windows.XP.- -.suddenly.everything.sucks-.