I haven't yet tried Smoothwall myself, but seeing so much buzz about it
makes me feel a need to point out some other diskette-based linux firewall
options.  Here's my $0.02 ...

The LEAF project was created to facilitate collaboration between
developers of diskette-based linux firewalls.

http://leaf.sourceforge.net/

Most (all?) of these diskette-based linux firewalls trace their roots back
to the Linux Router Project (LRP).

http://www.linuxrouter.org/

The Linux Router Project mailing lists can be very helpful, and its
archives are searchable via the web.

http://www.linuxrouter.org/archives/

Seattle Firewall is a set of scripts, compatible with LRP, that can help
facilitate the setup of ipchains rules for a firewall.

http://seawall.sourceforge.net/

On my home firewall, I'm presently using a tweaked version of Eigerstein,
with Seawall.

Joel

(sorry for slow response - I'm subscribed to TCLUG in digest mode)