I'm annoyed with them also.  I run it at home, but I'm going to switch to
something else.  Awhile back, I went to install it on a machine with SCSI
(no IDE at all).  They ripped scsi support out of the included kernel.  So I
downloaded their "SDK".  Which consists of like 4 files and really has
nothing included.  So I joined their IRC channel and asked about SCSI
support.  They said that SCSI support would only be included with their
commercial version due out in a couple of months (it's out now).  So I asked
how to recompile using their SDK so I could add SCSI support to mine, and
they wouldn't talk to me anymore.  These guys are a bunch of bastards.
Their modified source isn't available, and they really could care less about
their "free" version now that they have something to sell.

If you're looking for a similar product, but better, check out Mandrake's
SNF.  The new version with kernel 2.4 will be out soon.  (smoothwall is
still kernel 2.2)

Jay