I'm having trouble with the routing tables on my PowerBook, which shares a
local network with a PC, both running Linux.  Here are the symptoms:

1. ifconfig looks fine -- identical on both machines, except for the IP and
NIC ID numbers.
2. ppp works fine.
3. The PC can ping the PowerBook, so it is on the network.
4. When the PowerBook is running MacOS, it can ping the PC, so the problem is
limited to Linux.
5. When I run route (as root) on the PowerBook, nothing happens.  The headers
appear, but no entries appear at all, and I have to press ctrl-C to get my
prompt back.
6. When I run netcfg (as root) on the PowerBook and try to save any changes,
I get the following error on the console:

SIOCDELRT: No such process
SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable

The real kicker is that I don't remember changing anything when this problem
began!  :-(

Yesterday I got it working briefly by logging into KDE as root and running
netcfg from there.  Then I logged back in as myself and was able to connect
to the PC perfectly and transfer some files.  Then I dialed in with ppp, and
as soon as my local network connections timed out, I was unable to reopen
them because the problem had returned.

So is ppp to blame?  How?  What else should I try?  --Ben