That's not really true.  a hardware RAID5 should be much faster than a
single disk.  The data is not actually replicated X times.  There is,
however, parity data.  But, because of the fact that both data and parity
are striped across all drives, you should see a noticeable performance
increase (assuming you're using SCSI...if you're using IDE, it's a whole
nother ball game, and I'm not very familiar with the rules other than me
no likie)