Well from what I have found having the RAID-5 with the hot spare is pretty
good. Raid-5 pretty much gives you the best of both worlds that being stripping
(raid-0) and mirroring(raid-1). You get close to the performance of Raid-0 with
the the near raid-1 redundancy. Yes if two drives fail in a raid-5 you are
toast, but if you lose one drive in a raid-0 its all gone. If you have a mirror
you can loose one drive and still be up, but again if both drives fail your
data is gone. But probably the best bang would be having two controllers with
raid-0 then mirroring that setup. But the most cost effective way is raid-5.
Well in my humble opinion.

Jason

oh yeah if i got raid 0 and 1 backwards, sorry i tend to do that from time to
time.