As our network grows and our laziness takes over, bad things start to
happen.  We're running in a Novell/NT hybrid environment and we've
isolated down some issues that we think equates to some nasty congestion
on the network.  When 8:00 hits, the network slows to a crawl in parts of
the net.

I'd like to set up a linux laptop to watch our network for some things
that should not be.  Specifically:

Protocols (shouldn't be anything other than TCP/IP and IPX)
Frame types (Ethernet 802.2 only)

What software would you suggest using for such a project?  I know linux
kicks Microsoft where it hurts when it comes to tracking down these
problems, but I don't know what applications to use.

Thanks!

-Brian