On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 08:47:34AM -0600, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 03:07:05AM -0600, Joel Schneider wrote:
> > <:-)>
> > On the other hand, maybe it would make sense to "enhance" the
> > functionality of "Reply-To" by adding scriptability and regular
> > expressions ... (sort of like a mini-procmail)
> > </:-)>
>
> Just so long as the syntax is human-readable...

mmmkay.

> > I disagree with this conclusion.  My inclination is to follow the
> > K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle where possible and
> > optimize for the most common scenario (e.g. sending mail back to the
> > list).
>
> ...or for MUAs to start adding support for a 'reply to list'
> function.  (/me joins ^chewie's lovefest for mutt's 'L' command)

Too bad everyone is not fortunate enough to be using mutt.

> > I'm also inclined to think that not just anyone should be armed with
> > the capability to easily manipulate the default behavior of list
> > traffic -- that authority should be reserved for list admins or
> > other types of moderators.
>
> Since when is it Bob's job to decide where my mail should go or where
> I should receive replies?

Since when is it your job to decide where my mail should go?  The
endless circle continues ...

> BTW - most lists that mung reply-to won't
> override a user-specified reply-to, they'll only add one where none
> exists, which leaves posters with the ability to "manipulate the
> default behavior of list traffic" originating from them.

That sounds a little bit funky to me.  Oh well.

.. now double-checking to make sure this message is addressed to
tclug-list at mn-linux.org ..

Joel