This is a followup to my own question. Guess what? It was operator
error. I had thought I had done soemthing during the play of the game,
but actually hadn't completed the action. I ran through the game again,
and figured it out.

For those of you who bought the game, but haven't tried it yet... Install
it already. The CD contains version 1.06 of the game. Use loki_update to
update to version 1.06b. That will add this:

1.06b enhancements include:
 * Updated internal libraries, including SDL 1.2.0
 * Fix deadlock in software mode with XFree86 4.0
 * Default to using the system OpenGL library
 * Added --windowed and --fullscreen command line options
 * Improved movie playback performance
 * Fixed several trigger crashes from loaded save games
 * Fixed music playback on some SCSI CD-ROM drives
 * Updated to work with the Loki Update Tool

Enhancements in the 1.06a update include:
 * Fully rewritten video and input subsystem, utilizing SDL 1.1.1
 * Optimized MMX assembly for the software renderer
 * Completely reorganized internal linking architecture
 * Many crash fixes
 * Joystick support
.. and many more improvements.