On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 01:25:28PM -0600, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
> the problem I see with this, is that if you reply to all; the address
> of the person you replied to, will appear in the list of To: or cc:
> addresses, when the post appears on the list.  if someone then replies
> to *that* message, it ends up going to the list, and as a personal
> reply to anyone that has been sent a personal message, and to the
> sender.

You should take a look at some of the flame wars that start up on the
debian-devel list over the use of "Cc:" in email.  Some people post to
the devel list that are not members, and request that they be "Cc:" into
every reply.  Some are smart enough to seed their own address there with
the first post so that email clients that aren't too smart will continue
to do so.

Other developers HATE, despise, and curse people who include them in the
"Cc:" as a result of poor use of email clients or simple laziness.  This
complaint resides under the logic that the developer already subscribes
to the list and don't want two copies, and it is usually never a reason
to add "Reply-To" munging.  It comes up occassionally from newbies to
the list, but it is quickly disregarded by the larger veteran
population.

Alternatively, if the discussion is to be taken off list, the "Reply-To"
field is a better seed for such redirection.  Maybe you'd like to move a
discussion from one list to another.  Use the "Reply-To" field to
redirect further posts to the thread.  Since clients tend to obey
"Reply-To" fields, you can reasonably assume that everyone will be able
to make the cross-over.

"Reply-To" is simply far too useful to go munging it with a listserver.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie
Get my public key, ICQ#, etc. $(mailx -s 'get info' chewie at wookimus.net)