On Slashdot.org: 'ICANN CEO Proposes Radical Changes'

In response some people have posted links to:

OpenNIC http://www.opennic.unrated.net/ and

Open Root Server Confederation http://www.open-rsc.org/

--

One could argue that investing time in alternative TLD registries is not
worth it since it could be a fad or a passing thing.I imagine that most

So where am I going with this?

I would argue that as Linux and Open Source Software users we have a
vested interest in seeing that these initiatives work and become part of
the internet. Why? For one, why should should the naming of the internet
belong to only one agency (ICANN)? Many of you are programmers, sys and
net admins, and software designers. In many cases you are a bit of all
of these. So all of you know the problems inherent in a Closed Source
System. So why should the naming assignment of the internet be any
different?

What happens if one day redconcepts.net gets taken away? I realize that
this is not exactly earth-shattering, but imagine if it were
real-time.com or mn-linux.org? Right now I imagine the recources are
meagre at best.

OpenNIC for example will let you use .oss or .indy or .geek as your TLD.
TLD's there are voted upon by the OpenNIC community. Not the fastest way
of doing things but for a small community it does work.

OSRC lets you use your own TLD's and automatically adds them to their
registry. I don't know how they resolve clashes but that is something
I'll look into further.

I asked the OSRC people and they say that they network with OpenNIC.

I won't advocate that the TCLUG and involved parties should get involved
with this outright at this stage, but I would appreciate your
comments/ideas/reservations. I invite you all to get involved, even if
off-list if people think this is not the place.

What is better than an Open TLD Registry System powered by our favorite
Open Source Software and maybe even *BSD?

Right now ICANN does what it likes, how it likes it. Maybe ten years
down the road a variety of Alt. TLD Registries can cooperate on open and
transparent guidelines.

Some benefits:

Since domain name registration could be community guided as opposed to
solely commercial we could see a decrease of spam/UCE. Since it could be
terminated at the root server or domains that spam could be shut down.

We could see such TLD's as .LNX (linux) .OSS (Open Source Software) or
.LUG (Linux User Group). We could send mail to mailman at tc.mn.usa.lug for
example.

We could see a better organised organization and structure.

Independence from governmental and corporate influence.

Free as in beer and as in speech.

--
Samir M. Nassar
RedConcepts.NET - We Build Communities