Apples and Oranges Mr. Browne.

While industrialization of production is indeed beneficial and needed,
industrialization of services is not. There is a good reason the US
enacted anti-monopolization laws. Lawmakers at the time, and until
recently, percieved a monopoly to be a threat to the welfare of the
general public because it can leverage power in a more concentrated and
organized way than the public.

If Wal-Mart were Wal-Manufacture and were closing out smaller companies
I would not be as worried since they are only producing materiel, And as
you said, ultimately this was beneficial to society. However, having
only one company be the sole provider of goods and services can be
disastrous to a community, especially if they can use their reserves to
starve out 'mom-and-pops'. Then we are left with only one choice and no
recourse.

This of course is where Wal-Mart starts to look very much like
Microsoft.

Isn't the reason many people move to Linux is to not be beholden to only
one vendor that acts as the end-all be-all of programming? Otherwise we
should just all wipe our hard-disks and install Windows eXtremely
Prissy.

Having options is always a good thing.

--
Samir M. Nassar