On Sunday 24 February 2002 06:56 pm, Terry Houle wrote:
> Maybe we should get back to Linux?

With all due respect, the question of the methods and strategy used by large
corporations in smushing smaller ones may well have an influence on the
adoption of Linux, beyond the (to put it too broadly) the hobbyist community.

Just to take an example:  I understand that the new format for Microsoft Word
is or is going to be XML.  If their extensions/descriptions (and XML was made
to be extended, of course; hence the name) are fully and publicly documented,
that will be of a huge advantage to the adoption of things like
OpenOffice.org or other open source word processors-- if they're hidden (my
guess), it'll just be another example of Microsoft trying to "decommoditize"
protocols, as documented in the Halloween letter.

--
There's a widow in sleepy Chester