On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 11:49:25AM -0600, Liz Burke-Scovill wrote:
> Go down to Bentonville, AR, and look at their stores down there. The
> stores close to Corporate Offices are immensely cleaner, and everyone is
> treated with respect...(they also have more variety - did you know WalMart
> has a grocery store chain?) Sam Walton's philosophy was customer first and
> foremost.  If you compare Target up here, well, taking the two into
> consideration, Target stores close to Corporate are dirtier than WalMart
> stores close to Corporate. I've gotten lots o' rudeness out of Target
> employees.

I'd say the cleanliness and quality of a store have to do with the people
working at them, Minnesota isn't a very popular spot for Wal-Mart due to the
fact that the state has one of the highest merchandise theft rates, where
I lived in Texas we had *two* 'super wal-mart' stores within 10 miles of
my home (considering I lived in the middle of nowhere, this is amazing)

Both stores had a *fully* grocery store plus your standard Wal-Mart, it
was always very clean, and they even had a gas station outside
(Murphy's oil, who is, I think, owned by Wal-Mart) with the cheapest
gas in town, and a $.03/gal discount if you use one of the little wal-mart
gift cards (which are free anyway).

As for target and k-mart in Texas, the ones I've seen are all decaying
or dirty, much like the Wal-Mart's I see up here are. Ever wondered
why this state is just now getting 'super' wal-mart's?

> They're retail stores - they have lots of people who work for them for
> close to minimum wage - frankly I have my qualms with both of them, but I
> still find myself going to WalMart over Target these days. The store
> closest to me has more variety than the closest Target, etc etc etc...

Ditto.

> I know that WalMart takes complaints about stores very seriously - I know
> that they base their purchasing on local demographics - ie., if a local
> population ismore prone to buy cheap stuff rather than well-made stuff,
> you'll find a higher porportion of cheap stuff in that store. I know if I
> go up to the WalMart in Eagan, I have a higher chance of finding the dance
> stuff I want for my daughter than going to the one in Apple Valley.
>
> *shrug* Giving more choice to the consumer is always a good thing in my
> opinion, whether it's linux or clothing. So - thi sis a good thing IMO.

Absolutely, besides, without a monopoly (which they don't have) they have
to be doing something right to be #1.

http://techmonkeys.org/~poptix                  GPG public key 0x01938203