Jima <jima at gimp.damnation.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, Steve Grobe wrote:
> > First Dell sells systems with Linux preinstalled,
> > IBM starts selling mainframes with Linux,
> > HP starts supporting Linux on some workstations,
> > and now Walmart (the largest company in the world)
> > is offering systems without windows preinstalled.
>
>  Yep.  I actually brought this up at the beermeeting last night.  The
> general response I got was people pointing out that the hardware wasn't
> that great.  I'm sorry, but this really does set a precedent.  It's a big
> deal, and the timing was excellent.  Microsoft can't make a strong move
> against Walmart, not with antitrust accusations hanging over their head.
>  We'll see how this turns out.

I think this is a really interesting move.  I wouldn't say that Walmart is
my favorite company by any means, but they aren't dumb.  I presume they
must see a good opportunity here.

Also, I understand that a bunch of other manufacturers are getting worried
about agreements that Microsoft is cooking up now that the Proposed Final
Judgement in the antitrust trial is sort of in effect (by the terms of the
PFJ, Microsoft was supposed to start acting like it was in effect in
December, even though the judge still hasn't yet accepted the agreement).
PC makers are being told that they must allow Microsoft access to the
patents the companies hold in order to get into licensing agreements.
Somehow, the antitrust case may have made things worse.

  http://www.vnunet.com/News/1129392

On the flipside, I won't be surprised at all if a number of companies
decide to start shipping OS-less machines, or if more and more start
offering Linux.  I think PC makers are finally getting it in their heads
that Microsoft isn't the greatest company there ever was, and are becoming
more willing to give MS the finger and go do their own thing.

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   I know everything about
/ \/ \(_)| ' // ._\  / - \(_)/ ./| ' /(__   everything, except that.