On Fri, 2002-02-22, "Jeff Schmidt" <j at 4dvfx.com> wrote:

> having just recently switched from Windows, I'm still not liking the way =
> the mouse moves in Gnome.  I've tried adjusting all of the settings (all =
> 2 of them), but I can't seem to get the movement to the way I like it, =
> which is sad to say, Windows-like.  Is there anywhere I can go to find =
> more settings that aren't included in the Control Center?  I'm using E =
> if that makes a difference.  I think I just really don't like the =
> threshold settings.  It seems too erratic for me.  Even with it set as =
> high as it goes.  thanks in advance

Jeff --

It is not clear what you mean by "the way the mouse moves."  You haven't
really described the problem well enough for anyone to do more than stab
in the dark.

That said, here's my stab:

If your mouse pointer just sometimes flies frantically around the screen
or lodges itself in a corner, you may be having a conflict with two
different programs trying to read from the mouse at the same time.  One
of these is the GUI, and the other is a mouse tool for the text mode
called gpm.  If you are using GNOME, the easy way to test this is to
turn off the text mode program.  To do this, issue the following command
while logged in as the root user:

# gpm -k

(without the # sign)

And see if your problem goes away.  I'm sure plenty of people will
provide more complete solutions, but I have to play taxi right now.

If this *doesn't* solve the problem, please describe it in more detail.

Michael Kellen
--
$ fortune -m Kellen