chown -R guest.users .*

If you don't see the mistake right of the bat, just remember .* also matches
'..'

I can't believe I did that! Argh!

I was preparing a guest samba share and was trying to chown all the contents
to the guest account.  With the command 'chown -R guest.users *' hidden
files are not chown'ed, hence the second (stupid) command I executed.

Fortunately, I caught the mistake before my whole system was chown'ed.  The
directories affected were:

/usr/bin/*
/usr/lib/*

I have a standard RH 7.2 distribution with everything installed.  I don't
have another system to compare the directories to.  If anyone knows of an
simple way to fix this, I'm all ears!  Otherwise, if someone with a full RH
7.2. distribution would be so kind as to send me the information from their
machine, I could write a script to chown those directories based on that.

ls -laR /usr/bin | gzip -9c > usr-bin.gz
ls -laR /usr/lib | gzip -9c > usr-lib.gz

Then just send me the usr-bin.gz and usr-lib.gz. If you know of a better way
to send the info, that is fine too.

Thanks in advance!!!

David