> and realized that I had used the same machine at Carleton College.
> IIRC, the IBM 1130, mentioned on the web page, was marketed in part as a
> replacement for the 1620.

the closest I've come to one of these things was when I saw a picture of the
IBM 1135 that was at Winona State when my parents were there. honest-to-God
Star Trek blinky lights and all.

the first real IBM-type PC I owned was a cast-off XT that the Winona State
sysadmin had been using as a serial console for his VAX 11/730. was the most
tricked-out XT I've ever heard of... 640K RAM, 20MB Half-Height HDD, 1.44MB
ramdrive (a full-length 8-bit ISA card with its own external power supply),
hercules graphics card, and both a 5.25" and a 3.5" floppy drive.
had an amber monitor, but even with the fancy herc graphics card, I could
watch individual pixels being drawn if I tried to use compupic to display an
image. literally took 10 minutes to draw a 200K .gif image to the screen.

got a stack of boxes of documentation with it, including a few compilers
(pascal, SNOBOL, APL).
even got a 2400bps Hayes modem with it, so I could dial in to the school's
modems and check my mail (in between connection drops and the hourly system
lockups, that is).

eventually sold it for $5 to a friend who needed a computer. in some ways I
regret not having it; but then I realize it's one less piece of old junk to
haul around. :)

yeah, I know, I'm a youngster. :)

Carl Soderstrom.
--