Ben Lutgens wrote:

> I just got turned off of this by too many bad experiences. I helped a
> person who wanted to use linux get a piece of hardware setup and do some
> other things for two hours. I tried to teach the individual what I was
> doing and so-forth, after a while I noticed that glazed in their eye that
> said "I'm not really interested, you're boring me" now the person is asking
> me all sorts of question and shows no will to learn what-so-ever (this has
> happened to me alot lately) and I ask myself two questions:
>
> 1.) Why does this person feel the need to use linux?
> 2.) Why did I waste my time helping?

Those are good questions and perhaps they should be answered before you
invest your time in worthless pursuits but I think its fair to
distinguish the
people you are referencing from people who will expend the time and
energy to
go to an organized training seminar.  You don't need to fight every
battle
in order to win the war. The success of Linux certainly has some bearing
on your own growth potential. You might argue that Linux belongs in the
server market but I can say with a fair amount of certainty that NT
server
would never have existed without windows desktop.  For many social and
psychological reasons the two environments are closely intertwined.
Many
people actually believed the GUI was a simplification of the computing
environment
because they don't understand the complex architetures required to
support
those GUI's. Companies dumped their data centers and their technical
staff and
bought a whole bunch of PC's and they shifted all that cost to local
departments
so it looked like a great cost saving. Of course now days many companies
are
struggling to get back to centralized management.  From where I sit
Linux has a
better position than windows for thin clients and imbedded devices that
will
likely provide much of tomorrows user interface.

--
Paul Overby
xpoverby at attbi.com