andy at theasis.com wrote:

> > Either that or require using [TCLUG-OT] in the subject.
> > For those that don't want to read them they can setup an e-mail filter to
> > automatically delete e-mails with [TCLUG-OT] in the subjet.
>
> > JasonL
>
> The problem with any such mechanism is influencing peoples' behavior so
> that they use it.
>
> Currently, any post that's perceived as a transgression of someone's idea
> of netiquette or bad mood generates 40 posts of various interpretation,
> griping, ranting or bickering. The only hope to clean up some of the noise
> is to have a published policy to which list members can and will be
> referred. Seems to me a minimal implementation is to
>   * draft a policy based on input on the list
>   * have a certain group (officers?) approve the policy and any changes to
>     it.
>   * make everyone agree to the policy before being allowed to post to the
>     list
>   * have it on the mn-linux web site, and linked to each mail along with
>     the unsubscribe instructions
>   * include in the policy an accepted method for informing someone they've
>     violated it. Preferably one that's respectful, dignified and OFF list.
>
> Andy

I appreciate the thought that went in to your reply, but does anyone want this?
Most of the rant's have some entertainment value, and it's easy enought to spot
and kill annoying threads.

I'd rather have a freewheeling, entertaining, and sometimes informative list than
a stuffy boring list - there is no shortage of those.  The funny part is that
this group comes up with answers faster than most of the boring lists - probably
because this list doesn't discourage participation (well, not as long as you
have a relatively thick skin).