On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 06:11:21PM -0600, Ben Lutgens wrote:
> No, I really think most people should stay away from linux. Where
> "most people" is casual non-technical users. Those people should stick
> to mickeysoft or Mac products.

Depends.  If the casual non-technical user is happy with a system that
rarely, if ever, crashes, that has all of the software that (s)?he needs
for creating documents, sending email, browsing the web, and playing a
few games, then Linux is as good a fit as any.

If the casual non-technical user wants to have the latest and greatest
games, then they should do one of two things:

    1) buy a console gaming unit (Nintendo, PS2, X-box)
    2) become a casual technical user

You can't have the best of all worlds.  There is sacrifice that amounts
to applying one's learning skills.  If the casual non-technical user is
not willing to learn, then they shouldn't be using computers in the
first place.

Now, if you were to say most people were market-driven consumers, then
absolutely, they should stick with market-driven software products and
platforms.  Even then, the lines are starting to shade a bit.

Regardless, we're all biased one way or another.  You won't know how
someone will react to Linux until you sit him/her down at the computer and
give him/her a quick go-around on it.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie
Get my public key, ICQ#, etc. $(mailx -s 'get info' chewie at wookimus.net)