On Mon, 18 Feb 2002 at 08:50AM -0600, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> You forgot I.  A number of people favor explicitly piping between tar
> and bzip2 simply to avoid the j/y/I issue.

Good call. I should teach my fingers to do "bzcat" a bit more often.

I'm reminded of von Neumann's remark about math: "In mathematics, you
don't understand things, you just get used to them." I suppose *nix is
no different.

> > It seems like it wouldn't be difficult to extend the `z' option to
> > handle bzip2 archives, by simply looking at the file's extensions. Or
> > looking at the first bytes of the file and recognizing the binary
> > formats.
>
> For decoding/extracting, that makes good sense.  For encoding/
> creating an archive, it would be arguably the Wrong Thing.  z = gzip,
> not bzip2.

Ah, I didn't think of that. Yeah, when creating archives I usually use
"cf" (that's what my fingers do automatically) and then [g|b]zip the .tar
file.

What I really want is for tar to read my mind and do things
automatically. I'd also appreciate it if tar did my homework for me. And
I could go for some pizza right about now:

    $ tar --order-pizza
    tar: unrecognized option `--order-pizza'
    Try `tar --help' for more information.

...darn. :)

Dan