On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 10:01:11AM -0600, Miller, John wrote:
>Thank you for all the responses.  I have not had a change to try them
>yet.  I did add the entry to ld.so.conf but have not run ldconfig.  The
>location of the file is in /usr/local....  This seems to possible be a
>bad place to put it because it is not part of my PATH.  Would it be
>advisable to move it or add /usr/local... to the path.  If later is
>better, where would I make the entry so that it gets load every time I
>boot.  (I know where to add it for individual users but not everyone.)

as for compiling please see Florin's earlier post as my first one was
wrong. With respect to the biaries in /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/sbin if
you don't add those two dirs to your $PATH you'll need to specify the
explicit path or relative path on the command line to run them.

the ld.so.conf thing I mentioned is only needed if you've linked against
something in those directories ( /usr/local/lib etc.) and try to run it
later on and get a
"Error loading libllama.so: No such file or directory" type error. If you
get this, and the lib in question is in the aforementioned dir tree, you'll
want to make sure it in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH by adding it to
/etc/ld.so.conf and running ldconfig.

Sorry for the confusion.

--
Ben Lutgens		http://people.sistina.com/~blutgens/
Sistina Software Inc.

pub  1024D/9A0DDC59 2001-12-12 Ben Lutgens <blutgens at sistina.com>
     Key fingerprint = 8FCD A1EE CEA7 DEE1 9361  F32C 0A90 30D1 9A0D DC59
sub  1024g/1FC75C99 2001-12-12