The Linux kernel won't work on less than a '386 for Intel Arch.
The closest thing I have seen for an 8088-'286 would be the
Elks distro (subset of Linux for 8088's and up):
http://elks.sourceforge.net
It does not have nearly the tools that most ports have, but
could be an option for ya.

Kelly Black
KB0GBJ