On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, Yaron wrote:

>   Hey all,
>
> Link light comes on, 100M light comes on, DHCP server sees machine send
> request, machine doesn't see DHCP server send reply.

While I lack experience in this area (since I've always had a tester) I
don't know what exactly happens when the receive pair drops.  If you get a
100Mb link light, I asummed it had sent AND received a packet at
100Mb.  Maybe I'm wrong.  Anyway, I'd almost suspect software before I;d
start blaming cable.

A simple tester can be made by cutting a couple pieces of Cat5, both 1 ft
long.  Crmp an end on both, and strip a few inches of sheathing off.  On
one assembly, tie the pairs together.  On the other end, use an ohmmeter
to test accross the pairs.  The neat thing about this design is you can
also test crossover cables.  Also note, if you've wired one end 568A and
the other 568B you'll never detect that, but it will tell you opens and
shorts and so forth.

-Brian